In a truly bizarre cutback of suicidal political proportions South Yorkshire Police are informing the British Legion and other key stakeholders that officers will no longer be sent to close roads for the Remembrance Sunday procession in Dinnington.
Organisers have been told they will have to pay Rotherham Council to close the roads and then pay to hire their own marshals to stop people wandering into the road.
This is the cyanide on the cake for Dinnington which recently had its Sergeant and safer neighbourhood team removed and replaced by a pair of PCSOs who will be shared with other villages. Dinnington Police station will be closed to save £12,000 per year.
Labour Police Commissioner Alan Billings promised that Police would have access to a room in the Dinnington Resource Centre 24 hours a day. The Police themselves have said that the room will be used as a base and not manned, the public can meet the Police there if they happen to be using it at the time.
It will NOT be manned 24 hours a day as local Labour politician Judy Dalton seems to think. Please could we ask local Councillors like Katherine Wilson to NOT re-tweet things without first establishing them as fact.
A few other rumours have been circulating regarding Policing and we can offer the following…
- Dinnington will have two PCSOs most of the time, they will generally work during the day, but not usually after 10pm.
- They will be patrolling in cars, on bikes, on foot and occasionally using the bus.
- The Police 999 service usually comes from Maltby, NO restriction has been places on officers as to what route they use to get here, local rumours had suggested that they could no longer use back roads.
- The PCSOs will NOT have to commute from Maltby via bike or bus, we are told they are usually in a car or dropped off by car.
- Rotherham Police are not short of cars, they have on average 1 car for every two front line officers which is regarded as optimal.
- The room as Dinnington Resource Centre will come online in June and will be manned from time to time only. It will NOT be manned at night.
- Crime cannot be reported via the Resource Centre, call 101.
If you have any information or anything regarding policing you would like us to look into please feel free to leave a comment below.
As for Remembrance Sunday we would expect a retraction of this rather clumsy policy so stay tuned.